Thursday, October 16, 2008

today i vote...







SO...tonight I am going to vote on the absentee ballot I just received from New York State. The candidates for President of the United States include Barack Obama/Joe Biden or John McCain/Sarah Palin. Prior to 2000, I was a dyed in the wool republican who would never consider voting for a democrat (or, as my nephew recently put it, a "democrap.") In 2000, I wholeheartedly supported then Governor George W. Bush in his presidential run. I believed him when he said he would be a compassionate conservative and "restore dignity to the White House." He has let me down time after time after time...Today I am a proud Independent (although Rush Limbaugh considers me a "spineless" American). I am cynical of both political parties and will never join or fully support either of them. People have different qualities they look for in a candidate and I want a president who will put care for the poor and the needy as a top priority. As I was leaving the gym the other day, a little kid saw my backpack and said, "Look Daddy, he's got Obama on his backpack!" His father smiled and said, "It's nice to know there's someone else in this town who supports him as well." I've notice that there are actually many good Americans in St. George who happen to support Obama...I've seen at least 10 bumper stickers for Obama...a sight that pleasantly suprises me. People do care about the less fortunate, and I believe this is a primary reason many folks are supporting an Obama/Biden presidency. Tonight I'm voting for the candidate who seems to be the MOST compassionate...for the one who seems to believe in the counsel to take care of the "least among you." Call me a simpleton but that's pretty much my only concern this election. Since neither Barbra Streisand or Kermit are running, I suppose my choice must be "that one."