Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"pitting" out




I have a problem...I mean, I have lots of problems, but one problem in particular is the fact that I can't seem to stop sweating...no matter what I do...no matter how strong of anti-perspirant I wear (currently Mitchum extra strength mountain fresh) I have rings around my armpits starting no later than 5 minutes after putting on a shirt...this has been a sore spot for my ego all the way back to my LDS mission when I would sweat through my suits and everyone would notice unsightly stains on my suits and white shirts...then, when I started going out to nightclubs in Salt Lake City and Las Vegas I would purchase and bring two exact same shirts, so i could change half way through the evening when the "pitting" out got to be too much...in New York City, it didn't seem to bother me as I completely let myself go and really could care less how I looked...I had also resigned to wearing mostly black since the stains didn't show as much...WELL...my new job, at a very nice restaurant in St. George, requires the staff to wear "earth tone" button down shirts...SO I went to Khol's purchased what I guess you would call Burgundy and wore them to work...sure enough, HUGE pit stains emerged just shortly after arriving to work...embarrassing and humiliating...there is a strict policy that NO pastel colors are to be worn BUT one day I was wearing a yellow pastel button down and I noticed that you could NOT tell I was sweating because of the color of the shirt...SO, I have started wearing the yellow, what I will call "desert earth yellow" in order to get it to pass inspection at work...in my quarterly review, I confessed to my manager that I hate the fact that I can't stop sweating and that's the reason why I have purchased 5 "desert earth yellow" shirts from Khol's for $9.69 (regularly $48.00)...she seemed empathetic and hasn't pressed me on the issue...all of the other employees have mentioned something about the BRIGHT yellow and I calmly tell them, "I'm sorry, I 'pit out' and this is the only way that it doesn't look gross." I have recently fallen in love with plaid shirts...my Uncle Monty bought me 4 plaid shirts from various yard sales for roughly 25 cents each and they are wonderful!...because of the design and colors, you really can NOT tell if i am "pitting out" or not-SO my shirt of choice has gone from black to colorful button down plaid...I LOVE MY NEW FASHION)...I even love wearing plaid shirts and different type plaid/other pattern shorts...I guess this is a fashion "no,no" but i have NEVER been one to have any real fashion sense anyway...I'm just glad you can't see me "pit out."